Here for Toronto–Danforth
Former Critic for Energy and the Climate Crisis
● Voted Best MPP by readers of NOW Magazine twice.
● Peter was the NDP critic for energy and for climate change issues. He’s a leader in the fight to end the privatization of Hydro, keep communities safe from toxins and protect our future from the effects of climate change.
● Peter has also served as Jack Layton’s climate change advisor, a Toronto city councillor and the executive director of Greenpeace Canada. He’s done government relations for the Ontario Nurses Association and chaired Toronto’s Board of Health.
● Peter has an adult son, Anton, and lives with his partner, Shawn Kerwin. She’s a professor and theatre designer.
Some of Peter’s accomplishments for Toronto-Danforth and the Province, include:
● Stopping a high voltage transmission line from being built along Donlands Avenue
● Introduced important pieces of legislation to fight the climate crisis including bills to:
o Ban fracking
o Make it easier to sue fossil fuel companies for the damage they create
o Accelerate climate action through the use of public sector purchasing power and other tools at the province’s disposal
● Secured the right for high school students to use ‘Gay Straight Alliances’ as a title for their in-school clubs organized to promote diversity and oppose homophobia
● Pressured the previous government to expand rent control to new units in Ontario that were excluded by the Mike Harris era rent control limits
● Secured all-party support in the legislature for his resolution making June 22 Chinese Canadian Head Tax Redress Day in Ontario to recognize the historic injustice of a head tax imposed on Chinese immigrants
● Led the successful fight to expand bereavement leave for parents whose children pass away, correcting a long-standing wrong
● Discovered and revealed large-scale criminal destruction of government documents by the McGuinty government leading to charges against prominent government figures as the NDP representative on the inquiry into the gas plant scandal
● Successfully setting up mobile offices to serve constituents
● Leading the fight to stop door-to-door energy marketers
Before being elected as MPP, Peter:
● Wrote the federal NDP’s Kyoto plan as Jack Layton’s Climate Advisor. This was a framework to meet the climate targets and put people to work in Canada
● Led the fight for smoke-free food courts, bars and restaurants as chair of Toronto’s Board of Health
● As city councillor got the City of Toronto to set up its very successful Better Buildings Partnership for large-scale energy retrofits of commercial and institutional buildings. This led to thousands of jobs created along with the cutting of thousands of tons of greenhouse gas emissions
● Successfully pushed City Council to restore the Chester Springs Marsh in the Don Valley south of the Bloor Viaduct, the flagship project of “Bring Back the Don”
● Supported and approved the construction of many hundreds of social housing and seniors housing units in the riding that has made a huge difference in the lives of many in our community
● Successfully fought to block or shut down some of the worst polluting industries in our community including garbage incinerators and Darling Rendering
Horwath will scrap Ford’s lawsuit shield for long-term care homes, fix LTC system
DURHAM and TORONTO – NDP Leader Andrea Horwath will restore the right of long-term care residents and their families to seek justice against negligent nursing home operators for the horrors they endured. Then she’ll overhaul long-term care so it doesn’t happen to others.
“Seniors — our parents and...
Same old Liberal entitlement: Del Duca’s $50,000 in allowance charges
It’s the same old Liberal entitlement. As MPP, Steven Del Duca used donor cash from his riding association like a personal ATM, with more than $50,000 of charges in high-end restaurants and spas, including internationally. The public filings posted by Global News show Del Duca charged for a Michigan “Grand...
No Doug, A Cottage in Muskoka does not make you a Northerner
TIMMINS – Gilles Bisson released the following statement after Doug Ford claimed earlier today that his cottage in Muskoka made him an honorary Northerner saying, “They ignored the North… This is my second home.”
“No Doug. A million-dollar cottage in Muskoka does not make you a Northerner.
Mamakwa calls for emergency response on flooding in the Northwest
SIOUX LOOKOUT – Sol Mamakwa released the following statement calling for an emergency response from the provincial and federal governments to help communities in Kiiwetinoong and the Northwest being severely impacted by flooding.
“The flooding happening now in Sioux Lookout is affecting homes and businesses...
NDP’s Niagara team says NDP’s announcement critical to fixing local health care
NIAGARA – The NDP’s Niagara team Wayne Gates (Niagara Falls), Jeff Burch (Niagara Centre), Jennie Stevens (St. Catharines) and Dave Augustyn (Niagara West) said that the NDP’s plan to invest in health care in the region will mean that families will get the care they need faster.
On Sunday, Andrea Horwath...
Horwath commits to add 850 nurses in Niagara so health care comes faster
NIAGARA and TORONTO – NDP Leader Andrea Horwath will fill the 50 empty nursing jobs in Niagara Region hospitals and hire an additional 800 nurses in her first term so Niagara families get the care they need faster.
“When your mom is in the hospital, you want to know that a nurse is at her bedside. When your...
NDP will add 1,386 nurses in Scarborough, so people get care faster
SCARBOROUGH AND TORONTO – Andrea Horwath and the Ontario NDP will fix the nursing shortage in Scarborough by filling the current 186 nursing vacancies, and adding 1,200 new nurses at Scarborough’s hospitals and public community health settings over Horwath’s first term.
“We can help people get care...
NDP’s plan to end gas price gouging means relief for Northern drivers
NORTHERN ONTARIO – The NDP’s Northern team of candidates say Andrea Horwath’s plan released Friday means northern drivers will finally get some relief at the pumps.
“Northern drivers are paying the highest cost for gas in the province. The NDP’s plan to regulate gas prices means we will stop unfair...
NDP government would invest in Windsor-Essex health care
WINDSOR – NDP candidates Lisa Gretzky (Windsor West), Gemma Grey-Hall (Windsor—Tecumseh) and Ron LeClair (Essex) said that an NDP government would invest in making health care better for the families of Windsor and Essex.
“Families in Windsor-Essex deserve a health care system that actually meets their...
Ontario’s NDP will cap gas prices weekly and save commuters money
TORONTO – Andrea Horwath and the NDP will regulate the price of gas — capping gas prices, outlawing gouging, and saving Ontarians money at the pumps.
“Every day, people are being gouged by oil and gas companies who are already making record profits,” said Horwath. “It’s time for Ontarians to get a...
Ford doesn’t get it done for drivers when meeting with Big Oil
Newly released freedom of information records show gas prices were not on Ford’s agenda in 2019 when he met with big oil and gas companies in Calgary. His own talking points didn’t even mention lowering gas prices.
Ford spent more than $10,000 on the trip to Calgary to meet with representatives from...
NDP will remove tolls for truckers on Highway 407 — reducing gridlock on 400-series highways
NDP candidates announce plan to reduce gridlock for Brampton drivers
BRAMPTON — An Ontario NDP government will immediately eliminate tolls on Highway 407 for all trucks and transport vehicles, reducing gridlock, shortening commute times and making commuting less expensive for Brampton drivers.