Here for Toronto–Danforth
Critic for Energy and the Climate Crisis, and for Intergovernmental Affairs
● Voted Best MPP by readers of NOW Magazine twice.
● Peter was the NDP critic for energy and for climate change issues. He’s a leader in the fight to end the privatization of Hydro, keep communities safe from toxins and protect our future from the effects of climate change.
● Peter has also served as Jack Layton’s climate change advisor, a Toronto city councillor and the executive director of Greenpeace Canada. He’s done government relations for the Ontario Nurses Association and chaired Toronto’s Board of Health.
● Peter has an adult son, Anton, and lives with his partner, Shawn Kerwin. She’s a professor and theatre designer.
Some of Peter’s accomplishments for Toronto-Danforth and the Province, include:
● Stopping a high voltage transmission line from being built along Donlands Avenue
● Introduced important pieces of legislation to fight the climate crisis including bills to:
o Ban fracking
o Make it easier to sue fossil fuel companies for the damage they create
o Accelerate climate action through the use of public sector purchasing power and other tools at the province’s disposal
● Secured the right for high school students to use ‘Gay Straight Alliances’ as a title for their in-school clubs organized to promote diversity and oppose homophobia
● Pressured the previous government to expand rent control to new units in Ontario that were excluded by the Mike Harris era rent control limits
● Secured all-party support in the legislature for his resolution making June 22 Chinese Canadian Head Tax Redress Day in Ontario to recognize the historic injustice of a head tax imposed on Chinese immigrants
● Led the successful fight to expand bereavement leave for parents whose children pass away, correcting a long-standing wrong
● Discovered and revealed large-scale criminal destruction of government documents by the McGuinty government leading to charges against prominent government figures as the NDP representative on the inquiry into the gas plant scandal
● Successfully setting up mobile offices to serve constituents
● Leading the fight to stop door-to-door energy marketers
Before being elected as MPP, Peter:
● Wrote the federal NDP’s Kyoto plan as Jack Layton’s Climate Advisor. This was a framework to meet the climate targets and put people to work in Canada
● Led the fight for smoke-free food courts, bars and restaurants as chair of Toronto’s Board of Health
● As city councillor got the City of Toronto to set up its very successful Better Buildings Partnership for large-scale energy retrofits of commercial and institutional buildings. This led to thousands of jobs created along with the cutting of thousands of tons of greenhouse gas emissions
● Successfully pushed City Council to restore the Chester Springs Marsh in the Don Valley south of the Bloor Viaduct, the flagship project of “Bring Back the Don”
● Supported and approved the construction of many hundreds of social housing and seniors housing units in the riding that has made a huge difference in the lives of many in our community
● Successfully fought to block or shut down some of the worst polluting industries in our community including garbage incinerators and Darling Rendering
Stiles: Ford blocks Greenbelt investigation
QUEEN’S PARK – Marit Stiles, Leader of the Official Opposition NDP, released the following statement after Ford’s Conservatives blocked the formation of a Special Investigative Committee that would open accountability and transparency on the corrupt Greenbelt deal:
“This is shameful, even with this...
Tabuns: Government being “short-sighted and deceptive” as reports show over-reliance on gas plants
QUEEN’S PARK – A media investigation recently brought to light what had been suspected: that many of Ontario’s gas plants, which were supposed to run only during peak consumption periods, were in fact running nearly 24 hours a...
Stiles’ NDP smashes third-quarter fundraising record
ETOBICOKE – Marit Stiles’ Ontario NDP has just completed its best non-election year third quarter ever, bested only by 2014, which was an election year.
“People all across this province are seeing Marit in action, holding Ford’s Conservatives to account,” said Provincial Director Kevin Beaulieu...
Andrew: Ford government should be ashamed of using scab labour as ACTRA workers continue to be locked out
QUEEN’S PARK – Jill Andrew, Official Opposition NDP critic for Culture and Heritage, issued the following statement after the Ford Conservatives failed to stand with 6,000 striking ACTRA workers or commit to not using scab labour as workers continue to be locked out by agencies on the Ontario government’s...
Govt’s removal of more Greenbelt lands show we’ve only scratched surface of Ford’s dirty deals
QUEEN’S PARK — Official Opposition NDP Leader Marit Stiles issued the following statement:
“This government can’t be trusted. New reporting from The Globe and Mail shows the Ford Conservatives sneakily designated for removal additional parcels of Greenbelt land as a favour to their well-connected...
Ontario NDP commemorates National Day of Truth and Reconciliation
QUEEN'S PARK – Marit Stiles, Leader of the Official Opposition NDP, and Deputy Leader Sol Mamakwa (Kiiwetinoong), critic for Indigenous and Treaty Relations, issued the following statement to commemorate the National Day of Truth and Reconciliation:
"Today, on the National Day of Truth and Reconciliation,...
REALITY CHECK: Ford’s Conservatives reward failure with millions while holding down wages for everyone else
QUEEN’S PARK – Earlier this week, Metrolinx CEO Phil Verster took the stage at Metrolinx offices to further delay an already long-delayed announcement and tell transit riders that he had no idea when the Eglinton Crosstown LRT would open.
Verster is the fifth highest paid public servant in the province and...
NDP seeks Auditor General investigation into Ford’s forced urban boundary expansions
QUEEN’S PARK – Following a successful fight to protect the Greenbelt, Leader of the Official Opposition, Marit Stiles and her Ontario NDP are calling for the Auditor General to investigate Ford’s shady backroom deals, and his government’s decision to force municipal urban boundary expansions across the...
West: 6,000 ACTRA workers take stand against Ford
QUEEN'S PARK - Ontario NDP Labour Critic Jamie West (Sudbury) passionately spoke out against the Ford Conservatives’ ongoing backing of union-busting advertising agencies.
West wasn't alone in this fight - he was joined by representatives from the powerful group of 6,000 ACTRA commercial workers...
Reality Check: Ford Conservatives have no plan to restore the Greenbelt
QUEEN'S PARK - In a not-so-surprising twist, the Ford Conservatives’ promise to restore the Greenbelt is now weeks behind schedule – another letdown from a government tainted by corruption.
The question remains: Will this...
NDP demands committee to investigate Ford’s Greenbelt corruption
QUEEN’S PARK – Official Opposition NDP Leader, Marit Stiles, has tabled a motion to form a special Select Committee to investigate how the Conservatives rigged the Greenbelt process to benefit a few of their speculator friends.
“I’ve said this before, and I’ll say it again – we are going to use...
NDP MPPs demand investigation into Ottawa's urban boundary expansion
QUEEN'S PARK- Ontario NDP MPPs Joel Harden (Ottawa-Centre) and Chandra Pasma (Ottawa West—Nepean) issued a joint statement after announcing that they will call on the Auditor General to investigate the Ford Conservatives’ decision to expand Ottawa's urban boundary and amendments to municipal official...