Here for Toronto–Danforth
Critic for Energy and Climate Action.
● Voted Best MPP by readers of NOW Magazine twice.
● Peter was the NDP critic for energy and for climate change issues. He’s a leader in the fight to end the privatization of Hydro, keep communities safe from toxins and protect our future from the effects of climate change.
● Peter has also served as Jack Layton’s climate change advisor, a Toronto city councillor and the executive director of Greenpeace Canada. He’s done government relations for the Ontario Nurses Association and chaired Toronto’s Board of Health.
● Peter has an adult son, Anton, and lives with his partner, Shawn Kerwin. She’s a professor and theatre designer.
Some of Peter’s accomplishments for Toronto-Danforth and the Province, include:
● Stopping a high voltage transmission line from being built along Donlands Avenue
● Introduced important pieces of legislation to fight the climate crisis including bills to:
o Ban fracking
o Make it easier to sue fossil fuel companies for the damage they create
o Accelerate climate action through the use of public sector purchasing power and other tools at the province’s disposal
● Secured the right for high school students to use ‘Gay Straight Alliances’ as a title for their in-school clubs organized to promote diversity and oppose homophobia
● Pressured the previous government to expand rent control to new units in Ontario that were excluded by the Mike Harris era rent control limits
● Secured all-party support in the legislature for his resolution making June 22 Chinese Canadian Head Tax Redress Day in Ontario to recognize the historic injustice of a head tax imposed on Chinese immigrants
● Led the successful fight to expand bereavement leave for parents whose children pass away, correcting a long-standing wrong
● Discovered and revealed large-scale criminal destruction of government documents by the McGuinty government leading to charges against prominent government figures as the NDP representative on the inquiry into the gas plant scandal
● Successfully setting up mobile offices to serve constituents
● Leading the fight to stop door-to-door energy marketers
Before being elected as MPP, Peter:
● Wrote the federal NDP’s Kyoto plan as Jack Layton’s Climate Advisor. This was a framework to meet the climate targets and put people to work in Canada
● Led the fight for smoke-free food courts, bars and restaurants as chair of Toronto’s Board of Health
● As city councillor got the City of Toronto to set up its very successful Better Buildings Partnership for large-scale energy retrofits of commercial and institutional buildings. This led to thousands of jobs created along with the cutting of thousands of tons of greenhouse gas emissions
● Successfully pushed City Council to restore the Chester Springs Marsh in the Don Valley south of the Bloor Viaduct, the flagship project of “Bring Back the Don”
● Supported and approved the construction of many hundreds of social housing and seniors housing units in the riding that has made a huge difference in the lives of many in our community
● Successfully fought to block or shut down some of the worst polluting industries in our community including garbage incinerators and Darling Rendering
Stiles to Ford: Yes or no? Will you support the national pharmacare plan, ensure Ontarians have free access to essential meds?
QUEEN’S PARK – With the federal government’s national pharmacare plan set to be revealed today, Marit Stiles, Leader of Ontario’s Official Opposition NDP is pressing Premier Doug Ford to commit to signing on and ensuring all Ontarians can benefit from the coverage of essential medication and devices.
Stiles speaks out as 10,000 people in Perth, ON at risk of losing primary care
QUEEN’S PARK – Marit Stiles, Leader of the NDP Official Opposition, is calling for immediate action as 10,000 people in Perth, ON are on the verge of losing primary care, after the Ford Conservatives cut clinic...
MPP Taylor calls for support after London boy’s autism funding slashed by $56,000
QUEEN’S PARK – NDP MPP Monique Taylor (Hamilton Mountain), NDP critic for Children, Community, and Social Services, is demanding an explanation after a London mom was told her son’s autism funding would drop from $65,000 a year to just $8,900.
“Lisa lives in London with her 10-year-old son, Jaxon, who...
NDP: Conservative cuts leading to highest increase in EI recipients of any province
QUEEN’S PARK - Official Opposition NDP critic for Economic Development, Job Creation and Trade Terence Kernaghan (London North Centre), and Labour critic Jamie West (Sudbury) are calling out the Ford Conservatives' lack of action to address the significant surge of people relying on Employment Insurance (EI) in...
MPP Gretzky: Windsor children being left behind from a dire lack of mental health support
QUEEN’S PARK – MPP Lisa Gretzky (Windsor West), Official Opposition critic for Mental Health and Addictions, is calling for urgent action to address a spiralling crisis in children’s mental health access, as Windsor parents turn to Children’s Aid Society (CAS) due to a lack of available support.
MPP Kernaghan calls for children’s mental health support as CAS London warns of crisis
QUEEN’S PARK – MPP Terence Kernaghan (London North Centre), is calling for a significant, multi-year investment for youth mental health care agencies as Children’s Aid Society (CAS) London warns of a crisis.
“Over the past few months, we’ve heard heartbreaking stories about children in London who are...
NDP, OPSEU/SEFPO unite to demand forest firefighter recognition
QUEEN'S PARK - Today, Official Opposition NDP Deputy Leader Sol Mamakwa (Kiiwetinoong ), WSIB and Injured Workers critic Lise Vaugeois (Thunder Bay—Superior North), critic for Natural Resources and Forestry Guy Bourgouin (Mushkegowuk—James Bay), and critic for Labour, Jamie West (Sudbury) joined OPSEU/SEFPO...
Sattler: Does Ford understand the crisis he made in postsecondary education?
LONDON – Peggy Sattler (London West), Official Opposition critic for Colleges and Universities, released the following statement in response to reports of provincial funding for postsecondary...
Wong-Tam: Ford keeps eroding judicial independence by appointing Conservative insiders
QUEEN’S PARK – Official Opposition critic for Attorney General Kristyn Wong-Tam (Toronto Centre) has released the following statement in response to the latest patronage appointment made by the Ford government to the Judicial Appointments Advisory Committee...
MPP Gates calls for expanded health care access in Niagara region
QUEEN’S PARK – As a key priority back in Queen’s Park, Niagara Falls MPP Wayne Gates called for increased access to nurse practitioner services in Niagara-on-the-Lake, where thousands of people are currently without a primary care provider.
“More than a year ago, Ford promised our Niagara community that...
NDP: Ford’s Conservatives want to raise Ontarians’ energy bills
TORONTO – Official Opposition NDP critic for Energy and Climate Action, Peter Tabuns (Toronto – Danforth), has released the following statement in response to the Conservative government’s legislation to maintain a costly charge on energy bills that subsidizes Enbridge’s expansion plans:
NDP Deputy Leader Mamakwa exposes Ford's dismal track record addressing home care disaster in North
QUEEN'S PARK - During Thursday's Question Period, Official Opposition Deputy Leader Sol Mamakwa called out the Ford government for their dismal track record and out-of-touch policies that have failed to address the desperate need for home care services close to home in the north.
Howard Meshake of Sioux...