Here for Toronto–Danforth
Critic for Energy and the Climate Crisis, and for Intergovernmental Affairs
● Voted Best MPP by readers of NOW Magazine twice.
● Peter was the NDP critic for energy and for climate change issues. He’s a leader in the fight to end the privatization of Hydro, keep communities safe from toxins and protect our future from the effects of climate change.
● Peter has also served as Jack Layton’s climate change advisor, a Toronto city councillor and the executive director of Greenpeace Canada. He’s done government relations for the Ontario Nurses Association and chaired Toronto’s Board of Health.
● Peter has an adult son, Anton, and lives with his partner, Shawn Kerwin. She’s a professor and theatre designer.
Some of Peter’s accomplishments for Toronto-Danforth and the Province, include:
● Stopping a high voltage transmission line from being built along Donlands Avenue
● Introduced important pieces of legislation to fight the climate crisis including bills to:
o Ban fracking
o Make it easier to sue fossil fuel companies for the damage they create
o Accelerate climate action through the use of public sector purchasing power and other tools at the province’s disposal
● Secured the right for high school students to use ‘Gay Straight Alliances’ as a title for their in-school clubs organized to promote diversity and oppose homophobia
● Pressured the previous government to expand rent control to new units in Ontario that were excluded by the Mike Harris era rent control limits
● Secured all-party support in the legislature for his resolution making June 22 Chinese Canadian Head Tax Redress Day in Ontario to recognize the historic injustice of a head tax imposed on Chinese immigrants
● Led the successful fight to expand bereavement leave for parents whose children pass away, correcting a long-standing wrong
● Discovered and revealed large-scale criminal destruction of government documents by the McGuinty government leading to charges against prominent government figures as the NDP representative on the inquiry into the gas plant scandal
● Successfully setting up mobile offices to serve constituents
● Leading the fight to stop door-to-door energy marketers
Before being elected as MPP, Peter:
● Wrote the federal NDP’s Kyoto plan as Jack Layton’s Climate Advisor. This was a framework to meet the climate targets and put people to work in Canada
● Led the fight for smoke-free food courts, bars and restaurants as chair of Toronto’s Board of Health
● As city councillor got the City of Toronto to set up its very successful Better Buildings Partnership for large-scale energy retrofits of commercial and institutional buildings. This led to thousands of jobs created along with the cutting of thousands of tons of greenhouse gas emissions
● Successfully pushed City Council to restore the Chester Springs Marsh in the Don Valley south of the Bloor Viaduct, the flagship project of “Bring Back the Don”
● Supported and approved the construction of many hundreds of social housing and seniors housing units in the riding that has made a huge difference in the lives of many in our community
● Successfully fought to block or shut down some of the worst polluting industries in our community including garbage incinerators and Darling Rendering
Kitchener Centre rejects Doug Ford’s corrupt politics, support for Ontario NDP remains strong
KITCHENER – Debbie Chapman and the NDP will keep on fighting in Kitchener Centre following a provincial by-election that saw voters overwhelmingly reject Doug Ford and his corrupt politics.
“Debbie ran a strong campaign focused on the issues that mattered. The NDP team from across the province turned up to...
NDP insists Metrolinx CEO be removed over billion-dollar LRT fiasco
QUEEN'S PARK - Today, Joel Harden (Ottawa Centre), Official Opposition NDP Critic for Transit, called for accountability from Conservative Transportation Minister Sarkaria after disgraced Metrolinx CEO Phil Verster once again failed to meet a crucial deadline on the Eglinton LRT project.
It has now been two...
NDP: Ford’s Conservatives denying vaccines to Ontario’s seniors
QUEEN'S PARK – Today, Official Opposition NDP Seniors Critic, Lise Vaugeois (Thunder Bay—Superior North) called on Ford's Conservatives to end discriminatory practices that deny OHIP coverage to individuals over 60 who need access to the Respiratory Syncytial Virus (RSV) vaccine, and to end the denial of...
Stiles, NDP to keep fighting after Ford Conservatives say ‘NO’ to universal contraception
QUEEN’S PARK - Marit Stiles and her Official Opposition NDP team vow to keep working towards universal contraception after Ford’s Conservatives voted it down.
“It’s outrageous that Ford’s Conservatives voted against giving Ontarians universal contraception today,” said Stiles. “This is a common...
MPP Gélinas advocates for universal contraception at Queen’s Park
QUEEN’S PARK – MPP France Gélinas (Nickel Belt), Official Opposition critic for Health, will be debating the Ontario NDP motion for universal, publicly available contraception today.
“Health care is a human right, and equitable access to contraception is a vital component of that for so many,” said...
‘Make it live up to its potential:’ Stiles says Science Centre business case a shell game to justify Ford’s luxury spa
QUEEN’S PARK – Official Opposition NDP Leader Marit Stiles released the following statement on the business case for Ontario Science Centre’s relocation:
“This business case is nothing more than a 78-page shell game to justify the Conservatives’ scheme for a private luxury spa at Ontario Place.
Ontario NDP Candidate Debbie Chapman’s plan to win affordable housing for Kitchener Centre
KITCHENER CENTRE – Ahead of election day on November 30, Ontario NDP Candidate released the following statement reiterating her solid plan to win affordable housing for Kitchener Centre as part of the Official Opposition NDP.
“I’ve spent the past few months knocking on doors and connecting with thousands...
Chapman joins Ontario NDP calls for universal, publicly funded contraception
KITCHENER – Debbie Chapman, NDP Candidate for Kitchener Centre, is joining Ontario NDP calls for universal contraception as Marit Stiles’ Official Opposition bring the motion to debate at Queen’s Park.
“This is a long overdue initiative that I am incredibly excited to see being debated at Queen’s Park...
NDP: First Nations students left behind under Ford's watch
QUEEN'S PARK - Today, Official Opposition NDP Deputy Leader Sol Mamakwa (Kiiwetinoong), Critic for Indigenous and Treaty Relations, exposed the Ford Conservatives' ongoing negligence in addressing educational disparities for Indigenous students in the provincial education system.
"Equal education is a...
MPP Stevens brings the voices of hundreds to Queen’s Park advocating for universal contraception
QUEEN’S PARK – MPP Jennie Stevens (St. Catharines), is bringing the voices of hundreds of people to Queen’s Park as her motion for publicly funded, universal contraception goes to debate.
“I put out a call for people to share their story about how universal contraception would impact them, and my office...
NDP: Ford’s writing himself a blank cheque to use taxpayer dollars for his private luxury spa
QUEEN’S PARK – Official Opposition NDP critic for GTA Issues, Bhutila Karpoche (Parkdale—High Park) says the Conservatives are giving themselves extraordinary new powers to bulldoze over Ontario Place with their private luxury spa:
“It’s clear that Ford will stop at nothing to make this spa a reality...
Chapman, NDP call for emergency support as Kitchener food bank use skyrockets
KITCHENER – Debbie Chapman, Ontario NDP candidate for Kitchener Centre, joined the Ontario NDP’s call for emergency funding and a stronger social safety net, after Feed Ontario released alarming new data showing food bank up 38 per cent in Ontario, compared to...